Re: [opensuse] Goodbye to suse
  • From: Darryl Gregorash <raven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 21:26:05 -0600
On 2006-12-23 19:14, John wrote:
> I'll tell you what this patent protection did for me.

First off, you should be aware that a great deal of protected stuff has
not been in SuSELinux, for quite some time. Your Mplayer was uninstalled
because of legal reasons, and Novell/SuSE cannot do much about that, if
they want to protect their asses and yours from some rather expensive
lawsuits.

The codec patents involved in Mplayer for the most part do not belong to
Microsoft. The various patented formats, such as mp3, are owned by
someone else. Therefore, nothing in the Novell/MS agreement can allow
those codecs to be put into the distribution.

> I made the mistake of upgrading to openSUSE 10.2 and now I'm regretting
> it big time. Mplayer was uninstalled by the upgrade, and none of my

So put in a link to a Packman mirror, and put it back.
> Is Linux desktop ready for prime time? I wish, but unfortunately, that's
> not the present situation.

Well, you go talk to the boys that own the mp3 patents and tell them
they should just give Novell the rights to distribute the codecs,
without fee. I am sure they will listen.