Re: [opensuse] Comcast problems
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 15:42:24 -0900
On Friday 22 December 2006 15:01, John Meyer wrote:
> John Andersen wrote:
> > On Friday 22 December 2006 03:35, John Meyer wrote:
> >> Have a Comcast cable modem connection, and was wondering if there is
> >> anything I can do to prevent having to issue the command rcnetwork
> >> restart every three or four hours?
> >
> > Sounds like your dhcp client is not working well. Anything in your
> > logs to that extent?
>
> okay, let's pretend I don't know where that is.

grep -i dhcp /var/log/messages

However I gotta say its not too likely to be useful. I had a
nic (Intel PILAb - supposedly a respected nic) that would just die each
time its lease expired. I was getting all sorts of packes inbound but
it would not renew its lease and therefore could not resolve anything.

I trashed it and put in the cheapest of the cheap 10/100 pci nics from
the local Radiocrap store and it has been rock solid ever since.

I toss these things as fast as I can if they give me trouble, because
nics out of scrap or surplus or obsolete machines are free, and new ones
can be had for as little as 6 bucks, and good ones for 15 bucks.
Even a 10meg ISA nick can keep up with a cable modem.

--
John Andersen