Re: [opensuse] gnome menus in 9.3
  • From: Carl Hartung <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 11:00:08 -0500
On Friday 22 December 2006 09:38, Dave Howorth wrote:
> I'd like to edit the Applications menu on my Suse 9.3 Gnome desktop but
> can't figure out how to do it.
>
> Is there an application to do it (on 9.3 - not the new gnome menu
> editor, thanks)? Alternatively, where are the files?
>
> I've clicked, grepped, RTFM, googled etc but haven't found anything. I
> expect it's right under my nose :~/

Hi Dave,

Are you running the 'stock' 9.3 GNOME setup or the 'supplementary' branch?

I'm working in my 'daily' 10.0 system and am extra busy, today, or I'd boot to
my 9.3 GNOME desktop to see if it refreshes my memory. I seem to recall it
being a hassle to uncover ;-) *but* I also have a vague recollection of it
being fairly simple once discerned.

Weren't the menu systems in KDE and GNOME (and the other DEs) in the process
of being brought under a single system or standard circa 9.3 to ease
administration? (Heck! I've forgotten the acronym!!) If you edit something in
your KDE menu (using the menu editor in the YaST/KDE Control Center editor)
isn't that change reflected in your GNOME menu the next time you log in
(after restarting X & gdm)? Or was that dream I was having back then? ;-)

regards,

Carl