Re: [opensuse] Beagle and SUSE 10.2
  • From: Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 21:48:36 +0100 (MET)

On Dec 20 2006 22:52, Torkild U. Resheim wrote:
>Tirsdag 19 desember 2006 23:10, skrev Torkild U. Resheim:
>>
>> Any chance beagled will _ever_ finish what it's doing and leave me
>> in control of my computer? It's been using all of my CPU for two
>> days and still going. It can't take that long to index a 60G disk.
>>
>> Since Zen have a similar behavior I start to wonder if the Mono
>> developers are plotting to take over the world's CPU power and use
>> it to impose .net on us all. I guess this is what the
>> Novell/Microsoft deal was all about ;-)

Much worse. Everyone is programming in slow^W programming/scripting
languages (also includes poorly implemented libraries), claims the
CPU overhead they have is neglibible and outweighed by the
evergrowing performance of processors. Hello, anybody home?!

>Thanks for all the tips. I'll check them out although I guess I'll
>end up with uninstalling beagle and continue using find/grep/locate
>as usual.

Novell should stop starting[launching] beagle right after the user
logs in. It should be an *opt-in* solution, not an opt-out. Same goes
for ZMD in opensuse (SLEx => different story).

-`J'