Re: [opensuse] Can't move mount point of /home: error -3002
  • From: Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 15:15:06 -0500
On Thursday 21 December 2006 14:03, HG wrote:
> > 2) If it is its own partition, why are you using the Partitioner?
> > Unless you want to create a new and bigger partition and eventually get
> > rid of the current /home.
>
> Why am I using Partitioner? Hmmm... I'm trying to do something with
> the partitions - isn't that what the Partitioner is designed to do? To
> be honest YaST has many great things (and other not too hot) and that
> is about the only thing that sets SUSE apart from the other distros.
> All of them have command line, but there is a new generation of us
> linux users. I'm in the between: I'm comfortable at the command
> prompt, but I do not know my way around there that much. Partitioner
> is simple and easy to find. Why not use it?

But again, you didn't say what you were trying to make the partitioner do...

The partitioner is to create/delete/resize partitions, none of which you have
said you are doing... (yet)

If you are not CHANGING your partition, all you really are doing is changing
the mount point for a current partition. That doesn't require the
partitioner.

> > 3) If (2) is not the case, then all you need to do is to umount /home
> > from its current mount point and remount it at /local/home which would
> > require either Yast or Partitioner and should take about 10 seconds.
>
> I tried to remove the mount point in Partitioner. That fails with the
> same error message. Anybody know what that means?

I've never used the partitioner (and will refuse to do so because I don't
really trust it) but I can't believe the partitioner is to be used to change
mount points. It might be something that it will do, but it's not what its
real purpose is.

> > 4) If (2) is correct, then I myself still wouldn't use Yast  to do any of
> > this but some people would.   I would create the new partition.  mount it
> > at /local/home   and  rsync or cp the files from /home over to it.
>
> I'm trying to move the mount point from /home to /local/home as I want
> to import another home by NFS and NIS.

From a command line, while you are not logged on as a normal user: (logout of
KDE and when the login screen comes up again, do a ctl=alt-f<num> to get a
console session. Login as root.

umount /home

mkdir /local/home

mount /dev/sda3 /local/home