Re: [opensuse] Time problems after upgrade to openSUSe 10.2
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 16:15:21 +0100 (CET)

The Thursday 2006-12-21 at 14:00 -0000, Jim McKean wrote:

> > The system setting would be stored in "/etc/localtime", a binary file
> > copied by Yast from somewhere else (doesn't matter). It may be wrong/bad.
> >
> Ah ha! /etc/localtime was a symbolic link before upgrade. The upgrade
> removed that link but did not replace it. I assumed (incorrectly, it
> seems) that that mechanism had been replaced.

Ah? I do not know and I can't check at this moment. I'd be surprised if
the method has changed, though.

Hold, yes, I can. The timezone-2.5-25.i586.rpm on the install dvd contains
a 56 bytes locatime file, set for UTC. I believe you should have that
file.

> > The user setting would be the variable TZ:
>
> The TZ variable is empty

That's correct.

> > cer@nimrodel:~> date ; TZ=EST date ; TZ=UTC date
> > Wed Dec 20 21:52:20 CET 2006
> > Wed Dec 20 15:52:20 EST 2006
> > Wed Dec 20 20:52:20 UTC 2006
>
> I am not following this. Are these commands I need to execute?

It's what I got executing "date ; TZ=EST date ; TZ=UTC date", which is
three commands in a single line. Notice that that two of them set the TZ
variable for the following command only, so that its behavior is
different.

Run "tzselect", it will show you the correct TZ setting for you - but
don't set it. Just run Yast, change the timezone to something (any place),
then change it back to your setting. See if the "/etc/localtime" exists
now.

> > I guess it does that because your clock shows local time but says it is UTC
> > time.
>
> Yeah, I think. Right now, I have YAST set the clock to local time, but
> ntpdate screws that up when it runs.

Actually, ntpdate is doing it correctly - it is the timezone for your
system that is incorrect.

> # Set to "-u" if your system clock is set to UTC, and to "--localtime"
> # if your clock runs that way.
> #
> HWCLOCK="--localtime"

> TIMEZONE="US/Eastern"