Re: [opensuse] unable to access website after 10.2 install (bug 229848)
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 01:44:01 -0900
On Wednesday 20 December 2006 22:32, Mark Goldstein wrote:
> On 12/21/06, John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 20 December 2006 22:09, Mark Goldstein wrote:
> > > Well, of course there was my provider ...
> >
> > Since your results differ from most with the same kernel, have you tested
> > to see if you are behind a transparent proxy at your provider?
>
> No I did not. Is there any tool that can assist in that? Of course I
> can use tracerout, but how would I know whether any of intermediate
> hosts was proxy?
>
> --
> Mark Goldstein

This page has some info that might help:
http://tracetcp.sourceforge.net/usage_proxy.html
but it might require you install that package.

Also the tcptraceroute package can help: (slaged this off a google search)

Find it at:
http://michael.toren.net/code/tcptraceroute/

> tcptraceroute servername

will do a TCP traceroute on port 80.

> tcptraceroute servername 25

will do a TCP traceroute on port 25 to tell you what hops your TCP
packets take to get to the host. Because the ICMP route, and the TCP
route might be a bit different because of router configs.

> tcptraceroute www.slashdot.org

1 * * *
2 slashdot.org (66.35.250.150) [open] 0.983 ms 0.838 ms 0.347 ms

Hmmm, only two hops from me to slashdot? not right, I should at least
see the IP's to get to my upstream provider.... Proxy server before I
even get to my gateway.

--
John Andersen