Re: [opensuse] postfix and helo/ehlo
  • From: Sandy Drobic <suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 10:42:07 +0100
John Andersen wrote:
On Wednesday 20 December 2006 21:55, Sandy Drobic wrote:
The problem is, if that address was earlier assigned to a dynamic dialin
pool, you will still be blocked by blacklists that list this address space
as dynamic. You may know it is static now, but the blacklists often don't
care, and the server administrators who use the blacklists care even less.

Radius servers (dialup) usually have their own pool.

Regular dhcp (as found on dsl or cable modems) is a different animal.
My IP for instance is pseudo-static, I've had the same IP since dirt. I'm allowed up to 8 IPs on this cable modem, and I can but the Linux laptop up in it once a week and ALWAYS get the same IP.

That is what I have on my home connection as well. The current ip for japantest.homelinux.com hasn't changed for many month. Still the ip is listed as dynamic in dynablock.njabl.org and dul.sorbs.net. The number of domains that do not accept mails directly from my domain is also steadily increasing. Another reason why I decided to change to a static ip.

That's where the problem comes in. Not so much with dial up, because those
customers never run mail servers or any other services anyway.

True, I only do it for my own curiosity and comfort.

I support 4 medium size companies with statics. Until 4 months ago when I started bitching really loudly about static reverses being indistinguishable from dynamic reverses one or two of these would would get listed in sorbs every month or two. And it was always listed under dynamic IP, never under
any of the other spammer categories. (I do egress filtering, so even if they
get a worm its not going anywhere).

Yep, sorbs is evil. I definitely do not recommend that list.

It just so happens that these clients are shuttling large engineering documents between branch offices and other companies, and can't wait while the ISPs mail server chokes on these large document, so they run their own mail servers.
It took me (and a few other system maintainers around the state) 4 months of bitching to get their policy changed so that statics have the word "static" in the reverse. One of my cohorts reported that his static was listed in sorbs as a dynamic IP AGAIN after this happened. The truth is that sorbs
does no checking at all. Its totally unreliable. Blocking on dynamic IP is
collective punishment, universally condemned in every other area of society
except fighting spam it would seem.

Unfortunately it is also very effective to block mails from dynamic ip spaces. :-(
Not counting those few like you and me who are operating real servers at home the overwhelming majority of mails sent from dynamic ips is indeed spam and viruses.

I take great pains to insure that all mails within our network are routed through our gateway and I even scan our own sent mail for spam and viruses.

Sandy
--
List replies only please!