Re: [opensuse] Can spam be defeated?
  • From: Joachim Kieferle <joakie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 09:37:23 +0100
Steven T. Hatton wrote:
On Wednesday 20 December 2006 16:10, Joachim Kieferle wrote:
Steven T. Hatton wrote:
It just keeps getting worse. I really don't want to change my email
address, but it's all over the Internet, and the spammers are killing my
inbox. I don't want to spend a lot of time on this issue, I just want to
be able to block these idiots. I'm running a postfix mail server. Is
there an easy was to thwart spam? I use the filters built into KMail,
but they seem almost worthless.
Hi Steven,

adding

smtpd_recipient_restrictions = [ ......],
reject_rhsbl_client
blackhole.securitysage.com,
reject_rhsbl_sender
blackhole.securitysage.com,
reject_rbl_client relays.ordb.org,
reject_rbl_client blackholes.easynet.nl,
reject_rbl_client cbl.abuseat.org,
reject_rbl_client
proxies.blackholes.wirehub.net,
reject_rbl_client bl.spamcop.net,
reject_rbl_client sbl.spamhaus.org,
reject_rbl_client opm.blitzed.org,
reject_rbl_client dnsbl.njabl.org,
reject_rbl_client list.dsbl.org,
reject_rbl_client multihop.dsbl.org

to the "main.cf" on the mailserver already reduced the amount of spam by
approx. 50% on our server [....] means that you should leave your
current policies like "permit_mynetworks" how it currently is.

Postgrey http://isg.ee.ethz.ch/tools/postgrey/ has also been mentioned
to reduce the amount of spam quite well. I'll use that on one of the
upcoming mailservers, so I don't have any experience with that up to now.

However both recommendations just work on mailservers directly accepting
the mail,

best

Joachim
Well, I'm still getting mail from this list, so it's not blocking everything. It will take some time to determine if I've blocked things I don't want blocked. So far I have no new spam in the inbox in over an hour. That is very good. Far better than 50%. Thanks

Steven
Hi Steven,

"grep blocked /var/log/mail" shows which mails are blocked. All sender / recipient combinations that I have seen so far were spam. Counting the amount of blocked spam, for our site it's about 2'000 mails that are blocked per day.

IF BY ACCIDENT a mail is blocked, the positive effect from that is, that the senders are informed about blocking (e.g. Blocked - see http://cbl.abuseat.org/lookup.cgi?ip=82.197.44.218), whereas SpamAssassin "just" marks the spam and one tends to delete the spam without even reading the header / sender.

Sandy gave some very good comments on the sites one should get the blocking information from. That's very helpful, since I just googled this list from a postfix configuration site and didn't up to now find the time to go into details of each site. Thanks for that.

Best and Merry Christmas,

Joachim