Re: [opensuse] postfix and helo/ehlo
  • From: Sandy Drobic <suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 07:55:25 +0100
John Andersen wrote:
On Wednesday 20 December 2006 09:56, Sandy Drobic wrote:
No, my provider does give static IPs if you ask for it, on adsl (or
whatever). It is used by small businesses, and also people needing it to
work from home because their company has set their firewall to admit
connections from certain IPs only, and things like that.
Well, I wouldn't call it a static ip if these ips are in the same address
space as the dial up addresses. (^-^)

Sorry, you don't get to make the definitions Sandy. A static
is an ip that is specific to a mac address and will not be
assigned to anyone else.

Most ISPs simply make a reservation in the dhcpd.conf with a host record specifying a mac address and whatever
IP that mac happens to have at the moment.
Even those that do have a special block reserved for statics
frequently make no distinction in the reverse.

The term static does not reflect address space, only use.

The problem is, if that address was earlier assigned to a dynamic dialin pool, you will still be blocked by blacklists that list this address space as dynamic. You may know it is static now, but the blacklists often don't care, and the server administrators who use the blacklists care even less. This is my experience of practical use, no personal theory required.

Sandy
--
List replies only please!