Re: [opensuse] passwords
  • From: Doug McGarrett <dmcgarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 20:35:10 -0500
On Wednesday 20 December 2006 15:50, jfweber@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Wed December 20 2006 11:12 am, Mike McMullin scratched these words
>
> onto a coconut shell, hoping for an answer:
> > On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 17:01 +0100, Carlos E. R. wrote:
/snip/

> > Yes indeed. :/ I understand that someone in the U.S. wants to
> > "chip" people with their medical records/ ID info. Personally as far
> > as biometric authentication goes, Thanks, but, NO THANKS!
>
> Yes, but then you don't have Alzheimers, or a chronic problem that can
> render you unconcious and unable to tell responders what has happened.
> Those were the only folks that were even considered.. the chip in that
> case was similar to the things they implant into pets for the same
> reasons. ( They can't talk )

/snip/

The chip inserted into a pet does not contain anything but a pointer to a
database. It does not (AFAIK) even contain the pet's name. IOW, it's a
numeral only. Perhaps 10 years down the line, a chip could contain medical
records, but I don't believe the technology is here yet.

You can't even get doctors in the US to computerize and share their records
with other doctors. Every time you need to see a new doctor, you have to
fill out a big form, with most of your medical history--as you may know it--
thereon. So I don't think chipping people is close at hand.

--doug