Re: [opensuse] Time problems after upgrade to openSUSe 10.2
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 01:57:46 +0100 (CET)

The Wednesday 2006-12-20 at 18:59 -0500, Kenneth Schneider wrote:

> If someone could correct me here I would appreciate it. If the clock is
> set to UTC does that mean the time needs to be set to the actual UTC
> time which for USA/Eastern would be +5 hours? As the OP seems to be off
> by 5 hours doesn't this explain why?

If the command "date" shows UTC time, then the time has to be set also
using UTC. But that command allows displaying and setting the time in any
standard.

If, as for the OP, it shows UTC and you set it to local time, as is, the
display will seem correct at first glance, ie the "number" will be
correct, but the computer says it is still UTC.

I mean, if it 18:00 local, and it displays: "18:00 UTC", the time is
incorrect, even being the number correct. Thus, when ntpdate runs it
displays "wrong" - being in fact correct, but with the wrong timezone.

Ie, the OP problem is only the TZ.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.