Re: [opensuse] Can spam be defeated?
  • From: Sandy Drobic <suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 22:14:49 +0100
Steven T. Hatton wrote:
It just keeps getting worse. I really don't want to change my email address, but it's all over the Internet, and the spammers are killing my inbox. I don't want to spend a lot of time on this issue, I just want to be able to block these idiots. I'm running a postfix mail server. Is there an easy was to thwart spam? I use the filters built into KMail, but they seem almost worthless.

If you are running a postfix mailserver you have the perfect means to kill off most of the spam by rejecting the mail. Do you really administer the mx server of your domain?

The problem is that each setup has specific needs and you can't use one-approach-fits-all-situation recipe. That's why I am a bit careful about giving concrete advice without knowing your situation and needs.

My company is using a postfix mailgateway to weed out most spam and viruses before spamassassin even gets the opportunity to check the rest of the accepted mails.

In any case, you have to decide for yourself how important it is not to reject mails from badly configured servers, that you still want to accept or to reduce the number of spams effectively.

If you want to reduce spam to a comfortable small number you can either invest money (buy the neccessary expertise) or time (understand the system). You won't get a reasonable result without investing some hours into spamfighting.

Sandy
--
List replies only please!