Re: [opensuse] Can spam be defeated?
  • From: "Alexey Eremenko" <al4321@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 22:47:22 +0200
On 12/20/06, Steven T. Hatton <hattons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It just keeps getting worse. I really don't want to change my email address,
but it's all over the Internet, and the spammers are killing my inbox. I
don't want to spend a lot of time on this issue, I just want to be able to
block these idiots. I'm running a postfix mail server. Is there an easy was
to thwart spam? I use the filters built into KMail, but they seem almost
worthless.

There is no easy way. *but* it is possible to combat spam.

Some Linuxoids use draconian measures against spam.

such as:
1. drop all mails that include attachments.

2. drop all mails that include HTML/Javascript/ActiveX/Flash.

3. require all non-dropped mail to request image recognition.
(the recepient's server replies with image-recognition question, and
the sender must approve that he is a human, otherwise mail get
dropped)

4. make white-list firewalls, only allowed users can send you. else is dropped.

NOTE: some Viruses, like "I love you" can come from known ppl, so
rule #4 alone won't help you, but when all rules copmbined, and each
mail requires image-recognition, then spam stops TOTALLY.

With this you can achieve devastating effects, so only friends will be
able to mail you.