Re: [opensuse] passwords
  • From: Doug McGarrett <dmcgarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 15:04:02 -0500
On Wednesday 20 December 2006 07:19, James Knott wrote:
> Doug McGarrett wrote:
> > To all the folks who write code for Linux:
> >
> > I live in a house by myself. Nobody else ever uses my computer. I
> > really hate it when some program tells me I need an 8-character
> > password. I would be just as happy to bypass the password stuff
> > altogether, but I have a simple password that I want to use on
> > everything. It has 5 characters, and I can remember it. Please keep
> > people like me in mind. Thank you.
>
> Now, please explain how they'll be able to tell the difference between
> you and someone who needs better security.
> As I recall, SUSE only warns you about weak passwords. It doesn't stop
> you from using one. In fact, you can even configure it for automatic
> login.

I tried to install some kind of video program the other day and when it told
me to issue a password, I tried my usual one, and it said I had to have eight
characters. It didn't offer me a choice. I don't remember what the program
was, at this point. I aborted the install. I have no quarrel with anyone
who wants or needs a more complex password, but I don't want to be forced to
select one which I will immediately forget unless I do write it on a note by
the computer. That's what I have had to do with PayPal, for instance.

--doug