Re: [opensuse] postfix and helo/ehlo
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 12:46:50 +0100 (CET)

The Tuesday 2006-12-19 at 23:03 +0100, Sandy Drobic wrote:

> Having a proper reverse DNs means that:
> - your provider is on good speaking terms with the provider of address space
> (or even that he is the address space provider)
> - your dns name is meant to last for some time.

Interesting... still, in my country it is very difficult or even
impossible to get rDNS even from the address space owner. They simply do
not offer that service, and the talk persons do not even know what it is
(not really technicians).

An idea.

When asking for the r-name for my current IP (W.X.Y.Z), I get something
like this:

Z.Red-W-X-Y-.dynamicIP.rima-tde.net.

(and sometimes "static" something, instead of dynamic, go figure -
this is the main provider here, by the way).

So, suppose I had a domain name, but instead of pointing it to my static
address (if I had one), could I point it to the given reverse name
instead? I don't know how that is called in DNS parlance, but I suppose
you get the idea.

The rDNS on the "real" name would work, as my real name would not be the
one I choosed, but the one my ISP gave me...

:-?

- --
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.