Re: [opensuse] unable to access website after 10.2 install
  • From: "Dominique Leuenberger" <Dominique.Leuenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 10:45:32 +0100

>>> Reply on 20-12-2006 11:43:24 <<<

> Onsdag 20 december 2006 10:17 skrev Mark Hounschell:
> > Chip Cooper wrote:
> > > This has me scratching my head. After a clean install of 10.2, I
am
> now
> > > unable to access my work website (www.marymount.edu). All other
> websites
> > > load up just fine. At first, I thought it was a problem with
this
> > > specific website, but
> > > if I dual boot to windows, the site comes up just fine,
> >
> > I can't even access the site from here with XP and IE???
> >
> > Mark
>
> Well, I don't even think it's a client problem...I actually think
it's a

> subtle server problem at marymount...
>
> I can't even see the site using IE from our place.
>
> We're NOT proxying or anything...just going through our normal
router, a
> cheap
> Linksys.
>
> Now, what if the server side has a subtle bug that only manifests
itself
> in
> certain, very specific situations?? If one reads through all of this
> thread,
> what conclusively excludes this possibility?

I don't think anything excludes this. There probably IS a problem in
the stack of that box. It appears to me not to be the latest release of
anything (it's serving an Apache 1.3). So probably the later kernel just
moved one step to close to the standard... and this specific server is
just a bit to far from it.

That's what I like about RFCs: there is so much room for
misinterpretation... and everybody understands something completely
different, causing such problems.

If somebody knows the server admin, maybe he can suggest to have an
upgrade there?

Dominique