Re: [opensuse] Beagle and SUSE 10.2
  • From: Curtis Rey <crey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 22:02:08 -0800

On Tue December 19 2006 14:57, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> John,
>
> On Tuesday 19 December 2006 14:37, John Andersen wrote:
> > On Tuesday 19 December 2006 13:10, Torkild U. Resheim wrote:
> > > Any chance beagled will _ever_ finish what it's doing and leave me
> > > in control of my computer? It's been using all of my CPU for two
> > > days and still going. It can't take that long to index a 60G disk.
> > >
> > > Since Zen have a similar behavior I start to wonder if the Mono
> > > developers are plotting to take over the world's CPU power and use
> > > it to impose .net on us all. I guess this is what the
> > > Novell/Microsoft deal was all about ;-)
> >
> > Why not de-install it and replace it with the findutils?
>
> Findutils are great, of course, and I use find, xargs and locate pretty
> much daily (locate is in a separate package, by the way:
> findutils-locate). But those tools are not a replacement for beagle or
> any other content-based indexing, since findutils and friends see only
> file names

YEP! As follows

locate something losely what your looking for | grep something more specific

Means not much hides and doesn't take long to find it - oh and run the
updatedb from time to time :), Most "corporate" focused find file progries
bit the big one to say the least (seems most l-users prefer this because the
think it "thinks for them"?). Anyway find-utils is much easier AFAIC, faster
and only works when executed. Beagle (aka kerry?) such cycles endlessly and
ain't all the much more useful.

Just my $0.02. Cheers, Curtis.

- --
Spammers Beware: Trespassers will be shot,
survivors will be shot again!

Like the song say: "Everything's 'Zen'... I don't think so"!