Re: [opensuse] unable to access website after 10.2 install
  • From: Darryl Gregorash <raven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 17:44:22 -0600
On 2006-12-19 16:17, John Andersen wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 December 2006 11:01, Darryl Gregorash wrote:
>
>> The TCP stack idea seems most on track, but it is curious that it
>> doesn't affect everyone running 10.2. 32 vs. 64 bit doesn't appear to
>> answer it, or does SMP vs. non-SMP.
>>

> Actually, I don't thing either 32bit vs 64 bit is definitely excluded
> because several of the people reporting their hardware congiguration
> (up thread) failed to mention whether it DID or DID NOT work for them, and
> I'm too lazy to go back thru the whole thread and match worked/noworked
> with hardware.
>
> Same is true of SMP.
>
> Same is true of gigabit vs 10/100 nic.

I went through most of the previous messages, and found approximately an
equal number of 32 and 64 bit systems with a problem. The actual CPU
model/manufacturer is similarly not an issue.

No one has mentioned a SMP kernel, in fact most who did mention the
kernel clearly stated they were using the default.

I think only you (or Randall??) mentioned a gigabit nic, whereas most
others reported 10/100's (when the nic was identified at all).
> The best thing is a bugzilla so we can all report
> failures in a standard place and with standard info.

Quite so; I don't think we are going to get any closer to figuring it
out here. All I know for sure right now is that it went away in one
instance where the user reverted to a 2.6.16, and in another where the
user switched to a 2.6.19 kernel. Someone will come along for sure now,
and say that a 2.6.19 kernel didn't solve it for him :-)