Re: [opensuse] Beagle and SUSE 10.2
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 14:57:43 -0800
John,

On Tuesday 19 December 2006 14:37, John Andersen wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 December 2006 13:10, Torkild U. Resheim wrote:
> > Any chance beagled will _ever_ finish what it's doing and leave me
> > in control of my computer? It's been using all of my CPU for two
> > days and still going. It can't take that long to index a 60G disk.
> >
> > Since Zen have a similar behavior I start to wonder if the Mono
> > developers are plotting to take over the world's CPU power and use
> > it to impose .net on us all. I guess this is what the
> > Novell/Microsoft deal was all about ;-)
>
> Why not de-install it and replace it with the findutils?

Findutils are great, of course, and I use find, xargs and locate pretty
much daily (locate is in a separate package, by the way:
findutils-locate). But those tools are not a replacement for beagle or
any other content-based indexing, since findutils and friends see only
file names.

> I find it very annoying.

It has not been a noticeable problem on my 10.2 installation.

> That being said, its probably trying to read something It can't.
> Are you sure there is no bad spot on your disk?

During the pre-release phase, there were problems with some Mono things
in the package management tangle. Whatever the problem was, it led to
unending CPU grinding, along with log file diarrhea.

Randall Schulz