Re: [opensuse] postfix and helo/ehlo
  • From: Sandy Drobic <suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 23:03:54 +0100
John Andersen wrote:
On Tuesday 19 December 2006 06:34, Sandy Drobic wrote:
If you are working on a dynamic line you should consider to either upgrade
to a static ip or at least to use a relayhost with a static ip.

But bear in mind, that even statics does not guarantee you will
have an option to specify the reverse.

Many ISPs will simply NOT allow you to specify a reverse.

Having a static IP will have two benefits:
- dns resolution will always point to the right ip address
- (hopefully) your ip is not marked as dynamic in a blacklist

Having a proper reverse DNs means that:
- your provider is on good speaking terms with the provider of address space (or even that he is the address space provider)
- your dns name is meant to last for some time.

it ist not neccessary for the client itself to have the option to define the reverse dns name. But if I am asking my provider to take care of setting the pointer to the right name, he should either do it or I will take my business to someone who CAN do it. Even if he is more expensive than the big ISP. Currently we are paying quite a bit of money for our line plus the transfer volume. But our provider is doing his very best to make us happy, so we pay his outrageous fees.

Sandy
--
List replies only please!