[opensuse] Going nuts now...
  • From: Richard <rick47@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 13:48:10 -0700
Recent install of 10.2, all updates are current, so far as I know. Within the
past couple of days, Firefox has been going nuts...and taking me with it.
When I enter a site to go there, the status bar at the bottom of the browser
shows progress, fairly quick (I am on a cable), then shows "Done" on the
left, and the site on the right...but the screen has not changed, and may not
change for several minutes, real clock minutes, not just a "long time".
This can sometimes happen just clicking on a link within a site. Sometimes I
may just go to another tab to do some other browsing, and when I return, lo
and behold there is the site. As I have long suspected with computers this
seems to be approaching the realm of magic now.
Using AMD _64, 10.2 from downloaded DVD, all updates suggested by the updater.

No other real problems so far, well, the sound does not seem to work but that
has not been so critical to me at the moment other than amorak and kaffeine
will not work without it: Yast says it is fine and even plays the test sound
so it is not completely kaput. Will not recognize any mixer yet. Will mess
with that when it becomes more of a nuisance.

The browsing thing though is getting me down. CPU load seems awfully high,
and most of the time. Are these maybe related? Sometimes shows up to 50%
according to graphical Ksysguard monitor in system tray. When I go into a
terminal and enter "top" to see whats up, it drops back to nearly nothing
usage. Confused. Anyone else seeing anything like this? I know there was a
thread maybe yesterday or so about high CPU usage but did not mention
browser "slowness" with it.

Richard