Re: [opensuse] postfix and helo/ehlo
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 19:50:29 +0100 (CET)

The Tuesday 2006-12-19 at 16:34 +0100, Sandy Drobic wrote:

> The correct way to handle this would be to tell the admin of the ip address
> space to set the correct ptr record. If that is not possible and the line
> already has a static ip, look for an alternate provider.

I have been told that is an almost impossible task at some places
(countries). We can easily get a domain name, but we can not change the
reverse name: it is defined by the provider to his liking (read: less
work). Some providers here do not even have rDNS on!

> Only if the above is not possible you could set the smtp_helo_name to your
> current reverse dns name.

How about setting myhostname? Mmm, it would affect receiving mail, I
suppose... And having both names, the one provided by isp, and the
contracted DNS name? I'm afraid I'm not too clear O:-)

> If you are working on a dynamic line you should consider to either
> upgrade to a static ip or at least to use a relayhost with a static ip.

Do you know that many providers in my country reject relaying mail if the
from address is not in their domain, even for clients in their network?

- --
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.