Re: [opensuse] unable to access website after 10.2 install [CLUE 2]
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 09:43:06 -0800
Hello again,

I've made several Wireshark captures while attempting to retrieve the
main HTML content from <http://www.marymount.edu/>. Every time I use
wget to try to retrieve that page, the generated checksum is 0x15a8,
regardless of the fact that the packet content is never exactly the
same twice and hence should be producing a different checksum each
time.

On the other hand, when I use Firefox (note, this is version Firefox
2.0), the generated checksum is different for each request, but still
wrong. Naturally, the HTTP-level payload is also different, since at a
minimum it includes a client identifying string. However, I noticed
that when Firefox drives the transaction, there is a TCP retransmission
request not seen when I use wget. These retransmissions do exhibit
repeated checksums even though the proper checksum changes.

I don't know what could be causing this and why it's (so far) manifested
only when trying to access this particular site / address, but clearly
the checksum generation is the problem.

Perhaps it is in some way associated with the destination IP address or
range of addresses?

Randall Schulz