Re: [opensuse] unable to access website after 10.2 install
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 07:50:09 -0800
Chip,

On Sunday 17 December 2006 19:59, Chip Cooper wrote:
> This has me scratching my head. After a clean install of 10.2, I am
> now unable to access my work website (www.marymount.edu). All other
> websites load up just fine. At first, I thought it was a problem
> with this specific website, but
> if I dual boot to windows, the site comes up just fine, and if I plug
> my laptop (currently running suse 10.1) to the Ethernet, the site
> also loads up just fine. So, I imagine something within 10.2 is
> keeping it from loading--but not sure where the problem is. I've
> disabled firewall, ipv6, but still cannot load the site.
> If I ping the site, I get:

I guess I'm in the "something is odd" camp. I have several computers
here, a Linux box running SuSE 10.0, VMware on that SuSE 10.0 system,
an Intel iMac, a MacBook Pro and a SuSE Linux 10.2 box. The two linux
boxes each have a static addresses on the wild Internet connected via
DSL. There's a wireless hub using another static external address and a
non-routable range of interior network addresses for the WiFI access
point and wired access to a second NIC on the 10.2 box and a TiVO box.
The DSL modem connects to the Linux boxes and the WiFi router via a
NetGear GS108 gigabit switch (not a simple hub).

With all that, only the 10.2 box cannot access
<http://www.marymount.edu/>!

And this is not a browser or embedded content issue, because I cannot
even retrieve the home page with wget, either. All attempts to connect
simply hang indefinitely (until the client application gives up). The
failure to connect persists when I disable the firewall entirely.

The DNS lookup works fine (not surprising, since that's handled via my
ISP's DNS servers, of course).

If there are log entries with clues to this failure, I cannot find them.

Curious indeed.

Randall Schulz