Re: [opensuse] CPU speed halved for no reason?
  • From: Hans du Plooy <koffiejunkielistlurker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 11:51:46 +0200
On Mon, 2006-12-18 at 23:32 -0900, John Andersen wrote:
> On Monday 18 December 2006 23:16, Hans du Plooy wrote:
> > But you shouldn't need to. The CPU responds almost instantly to load
> > demands (even though the monitoring tools don't), and for the times when
> > you're just reading your e-mail, a 1000mhz Athlon64 is one heck of a
> > powerfull chip.
>
> Well, I have speedstep on my Core 2 Duo notebook and I can Definitly
> tell when its running in Performance mode (full speed) and when its not.
>
> There is ever so slight a lag, just enough to be irritating when its
> trying to save power.

I don't have any experience with linux on Core 2 Duo, but I would guess
it's possible that the linux ACPI stuff for it may just not be as mature
yet as it is for the AMD.

Mine certainly doesn't feel as responsive running at 800MHz as it does
at 1800MHz, but the difference is so minute and the response is so quick
when it scales up, it really doesn't bother me. I suppose 2GB memory
helps things along too, I imagine with 512MB the difference would be
more pronounced.

> Some of us do other stuff besides email. I know that's
> hard to believe. ;-)
He he - I wasn't suggesting that I do only e-mail :-) Actually my chip
runs at full speed most of the time because I usually have either VMware
or mencoder running or something compiling - or all of the above.

The fans on my HP can be quite loud though, so I keep it in dynamic -
keeps the temperature overall down, so the fans are either off or in
their slowest mode.

Hans