[opensuse] gdm / xorg issues: x server already running?
  • From: Michael Dolan <email@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 18:43:52 -0500
Whenever I start my desktop (running OpenSuse 10.2 with XGL), it shows
the nVidia logo startup screen, then goes to this funky blue/black gdm
error message saying "There already appears to be an X server running on
display :0." And then it asks if it should try restarting X on
display :0 again. Whether I say Yes or No, the screen goes blank for a
second and then the normal gdm login screen comes up... it's very odd
b/c it works, but for some reason appears to be called too early or
something....

I've already tried just reinstalling gdm and xorg server packages...

Can anyone help me identify where I should fix this?