Re: [opensuse] Dualhead and 3D
  • From: Clayton <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 13:49:32 +0100
I also have a W2k partition which my son uses for his games. On W2k it is
possible to run a game in 3D on one screen. When we try to run 3D games in
SUSE using Cedega we cannot achieve the same. In other words what we get is
the game spread across the two screens.

I have looked at the NVIDIA server settings GUI but I can't find a setting
there, nor in SAX.

My question is, is what I want to do possible in Linux ?

It is definitely possible with nVidia cards... basically there are a
couple of lines you need to add to your xorg file that will tell X
that when an application wants full screen - like Cedega, it switches
modes and displays the game full screen on one monitor only. The
other monitor is turned off until you exit the game.

This is actually all nicely documented in the nVidia documentation -
where I figured it all out.

What you're looking for is a feature called Metamodes. I've included
the relevant parts of an old xorg that I set up manually... this
worked on dual head setup with an Acer 15 TFT and a 15 CRT. Note -
this is a trimmed xorg... the superfluous/unrelated bits have been
stripped. If you use this type of setup, you do not need multiple
xorgs or weird DISPLAY settings, etc. just the single xorg using
metamodes.

I'd highly recommend you go read the nVidia documentation on this
feature. It's well documented and has examples etc.

--------------------------
Section "Module"
Load "dbe"
Load "type1"
Load "freetype"
Load "extmod"
Load "glx"
Load "v4l"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
DisplaySize 620 230
HorizSync 31-60
Identifier "Monitor[0]"
ModelName "F51"
Option "DPMS"
VendorName "ACER"
VertRefresh 56-85
UseModes "Modes[0]"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
# removed the Display subsections for clarity
Device "Device[0]"
Identifier "Screen[0]"
Monitor "Monitor[0]"
Option "CoolBits" "1"
Option "TwinView" "True"
Option "TwinViewOrientation" "LeftOf"
Option "UseEdidFreqs" "True"
Option "MetaModes" "1024x768, 1024x768; 1024x768, NULL; NULL,1024x768"
Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "28.0 - 69.0"
Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "43.0 - 120.0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
BoardName "GeForce 6600/GeForce 6600 GT"
BusID "1:0:0"
Driver "nvidia"
Identifier "Device[0]"
Option "XaaNoOffScreenPixmaps" "on"
Option "XaaNoPixmapCache" "on"
VendorName "NVidia"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout[all]"
InputDevice "Keyboard[0]" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse[1]" "CorePointer"
Option "Clone" "off"
Option "Xinerama" "off"
Screen "Screen[0]"