Re: [opensuse] How to build a cluster with 64 bit Opterons and SUSE?
  • From: Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 11:49:24 +0100 (MET)

On Dec 18 2006 12:00, HG wrote:
> On 12/18/06, Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Dec 18 2006 11:24, HG wrote:
>>
>> It does not take much. Clusters at GWD run some SLES8 with LSF, throw
>> in some MPICH programs where you need it, and you are all set.
>> Or were you looking for an OpenMOSIX-style cluster? That would be
>> a different matter harder to solve.
>
> Thanks... I think :-)
> Sorry, I do have to go and look for MPICH and LSF... as I do not know
> what those are. OpenMosix... I think I know.
>
> Little bit more about the needs:
> - multiple users (around 12+users)
> - all running scientific mathematical calculations on software ranging
> from matlab to self programmed software running with java, python, R,
> you name it
> - programs take from few minutes to days to run, usually at least
> couple of hours
> - users have hard time to find a "free" CPU/memory
>
> So, if we had the calculation servers set up as a cluster, users could
> find computing resources easily. Or more to the point, they would not
> have to do that, they just login to the (cluster) server and let the
> server worry about where it's running their processes.
>
> So, I do not know if your terms apply here or not. Altough, I think
> MPICH sounds like specialized software which we do not have (in that
> sense at least).

As far as programming is concerned, mpi is a library for - to put it blunt -
"copy this integer to all other nodes", and such.

Then there is the scheduling aspect. mpirun is for "now run my program on X
nodes", while bsub (LSF) queues up a job in the scheduler for later - i.e.
your program will have to wait until resources are available. LSF scheduling
then obsoletes the need for mpirun.

-`J'