Re: [opensuse] Dualhead and 3D
  • From: Will Stephenson <wstephenson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 10:33:38 +0100
On Sunday 17 December 2006 14:41, michael norman wrote:
> I have openSUSE 10.2 running in dualhead mode with an NVIDIA GeForce 6800
> card and the latest NVIIDIA proprietary drivers. All of which works fine,
> except for 3D games.
>
> I also have a W2k partition which my son uses for his games. On W2k it is
> possible to run a game in 3D on one screen. When we try to run 3D games in
> SUSE using Cedega we cannot achieve the same. In other words what we get
> is the game spread across the two screens.
>
> I have looked at the NVIDIA server settings GUI but I can't find a setting
> there, nor in SAX.
>
> My question is, is what I want to do possible in Linux ?

Yes but no. The situation is, you want a big virtual Xinerama screen for the
desktop, but a single screen when playing games. You can do this with two
separate Xorg.confs, but at present Xorg cannot be reconfigured while it is
running, so you would have to start X by hand with the alternate config. I
hear Xorg are working on adding dynamic configuration at the moment, though.

Alternatively the game could detect that it is running under Xinerama and only
draw to half of the virtual screen, but a Windows game running in Xinerama is
never going to do this for you.

> I'd be interested if anybody on the list has achieved what I want to do, if
> so can you give me an example Xorg conf so I can modify mine ?

This is clunky but it does what you want: Back up your xinerama xorg.conf,
then reconfigure using sax, disable dual-head and get it set up as you like
it for games, finally move the xorg.conf created by sax to xorg.conf.games
and restore the xinerama xorg.conf. So when you want to start a games
session, do startx -- -config /etc/X11/xorg.conf.games :1 and you have your
games session running in its own X server on display :1 (ctrl-alt-f8).

Me, I like bzflag and sauerbraten running across both screens :).

HTH

Will