Re: [opensuse] openSuSE 10.2 & D-Link DWL 122 + prism2_usb
  • From: Verner Kjærsgaard <vk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 08:42:47 +0100
Mandag 18 december 2006 08:28 skrev Fabian Scheler:
> Hello everybody,
>
> last thursday I installed the new 10.2 distro on my pc, I use a D-Link
> DWL122 wlan usb dongle for internet access via a wlan router and dsl.
> As long as I configure everything without any kind of encryption
> everything works as expected: connection to the wlan is successful and
> my wlan card gets an ip from the wlan router that also runs a dhcp
> server and I can access the internet and ping the router .... A soon
> as I enable WEP-encryption (yes, I know, WEP is not secure at all -
> but I still have one client using an acx100 chipset ...) the wlan card
> does not get an ip any more but the connection to the wlan still sems
> to be successful (iwconfig shows the ssid, the mac of the access point
> ... even the access point shows the mac of the usb dongle in the list
> of clients), I am just lacking the ip.
> I also had some trouble with getting an ip under 10.1 but I was able
> to work around that by setting the wlan staff (ssid, enc, ...)
> manually and also starting to dhcp-client (dhcpcd) manually. This
> workaround also does not work any more ...
>
> I' am using the Siemens Gigaset 515 wlan router, with windows
> everything works as expected ...
>
> Has anybody experienced something like that before ... any help is
> appreciated!
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Ciao, Fabian

Hi,

with my 3945 some-chip in my DELL M90, I experienced something like your
problem. I solved it by installing non-oss firmware, from CD6 (I think...).
All looked ok, but didn't work until I did that.

Also, later, I discovered some well-hidden dropdowns in the NetworkManager
dialogbox, it says "passphrase", I needed it to dropdown to allow me to
enter "hex".

My experience with SuSE10.2 and my odd 3945 DELL wireless is now excellent.