Re: [opensuse] How to check the MD5 checksum in Windows
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 18:17:09 -0800
Carlos,

On Sunday 17 December 2006 17:11, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> aria2c, a metalink client, which uses ftp and http protocols to
> download from different servers.

Maybe using immature protocols and clients is not worth any savings it
seems to offer?

> Azureus is a bittorrent client, ...

Yeah, I know that...

> But, AFAIK, both ftp and http downloads do not have error checking
> nor correction capabilities, other than what tcp has.

Which is significant. It's very unlikely that undetected packet
corruption will pass the TCP checksumming.

> Burning takes some time, the dvd media has a cost - even if it is
> relatively cheap -, and I hate to make more coasters, I already have
> too many of them. Further, the writer unit wears down, the lenses are
> made of some kind of plastic which ends by deforming and inutilizes
> the unit.

Again. Use R/W (i.e., rewritable) media. The best of both worlds.

> And finally, I would hate to reboot the computer with the newwwwww
> dvd, and then learn I got a new coaster. I prefer to know where I
> stand as soon as possible.

There's no need to reboot. YaST can verify the checksum of new release
media.

> Cheers,
> Carlos E. R.

Randall Schulz