[opensuse] CPU speed halved for no reason?
  • From: Thibaut Cousin <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 02:07:13 +0100
Hello,

My computer is an AMD64 3200 MHz (real speed 2000 MHz) running OpenSUSE 10.2
x86_64.
Everything is fine, but I noticed a strange detail, I don't know how to
understand it.

At first I had a KPowersave icon in the KDE systray. By default, it seemed
to choose a "Dynamic" management of the CPU. Then, the result of the
cpufreq-info told me that the processor's frequency was free to vary between
1 and 2 GHz, and that it was currently running at 1000 MHz.
Since my computer is not a laptop, I don't care about autonomy, so I want it
to run at 2000 MHz all the time. I selected "Performance" in KPowersave, and
it worked as expected: the speed reported by cpufreq-info jumped to 2000 MHz.

But after the next reboot, I was back to "Dynamic". I went to the
appropriate YaST2 module, but everything was already set as I wanted:
Performance in all cases.

So I selected "Performance" in KPowersave again, and then quit KPowersave.
In case KPowersave was responsible for the problem. To no avail. After the
next reboot, no KPowersave, but I was still down to 1000 MHz.

My final question is: how do I tell my stupid CPU that it's not running on a
laptop, and that it should be at full speed all the time?
Thanks for your attention,

--
Thibaut Cousin
http://www.thibaut-cousin.net