Re: [opensuse] How to check the MD5 checksum in Windows
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 15:19:00 -0800
Carlos,

On Sunday 17 December 2006 13:14, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> The Sunday 2006-12-17 at 09:58 -0800, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> > > Because the md5sum of the image can (and should) be checked
> > > before burning it :-)
> >
> > Well, I think there's much greater likelihood of an error occurring
> > during the recording of the optical media than during the file
> > retrieval, since there's abundant error detection in the Internet
> > protocols.
>
> Maybe so, but nevertheless, my downloaded image was in error.

Well, there's no accounting for software errors and their failure to
detect hardware errors or other software errors...

Incidentally, what software did you use to perform the retrieval? I
don't think I've ever gotten corrupt ISO images using Azureus.

Nonetheless, there is a subsequent chance for error (when writing the
optical media), and since you must check after that last point at which
errors may be introduced, it's not clear there's much advantage to
doing so earlier. Sure, you can save the cost of one piece of R/O
media, but if you use R/W media, then it's a wash--you might as well
wait till the final stage before verifying. Then you only have to do it
once.

> --
> Cheers,
> Carlos E. R.