Re: [opensuse] 10.2 system clock too fast and NTP
  • From: Darryl Gregorash <raven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 06:39:32 -0600
On 2006-12-17 05:57, Mark Hounschell wrote:
> Darryl Gregorash wrote:
>
>> On 2006-12-17 02:49, Anders Norrbring wrote:
>>
>>> Have you yet tried the boot parameter "clock=pit" as I suggested
>>> initially?
>>>

>> What exactly does that do, Anders?
>>

> This is just manually overriding the automatic time source selection.
> You're using the PIT (programmable interval timer) over what was being
> automatically selected by tour kernel. If we had a dmesg output of your
> boot messages we might be able to tell what was going on with your time
> source.
OK, thanks (also to jdd for providing that reference, very informative).
I did find a relevant line in my boot.msg file so my previous comment
that nothing of interest is in the syslogs isn't correct -- but I'm not
sure it's all that meaningful either. We'll have to wait until Byte
tries Anders's suggestion to see if it solves his problem, but a simple
"it works" sure won't be overly satisfying (not to me, at any rate --
but I'm a mathematician, not an engineer :-) ).