Re: [opensuse] Suspend to ram with HP nx6125 on Suse 10.2
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 23:42:56 -0900
On Saturday 16 December 2006 21:51, Andre Truter wrote:
> On 12/16/06, Hans du Plooy <koffiejunkielistlurker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> > On Sat, 2006-12-16 at 00:27 +0100, Michal Hlavac wrote:
> > > hello,
> > >
> > > has anybody working suspend to ram on HP nx6125 notebook???
> >
> > I have suspend-to-ram and suspend-to-disc working pretty fine on my
> > nx6125 under 10.1.
> >
> > It's the resume-from-ram and resume-from-disc that won't work :-)
>
> After upgrading to OpenSUSE 10.2, my suspend-to-disk (hibernate) and
> resume-from-disk works on my nx6125!
>
> Suspend-to-Ram still seems to be a problem, it screws up the screen
> and after a while just pops back to the screen locked state.

I have seen the same thing. After resume, I often don't have and screen
image at all. Its black. No back light. But the system is running. If I
ctrl-alt-F2 to a shell, (its still black) and log in blind, and carefully type
init 3, the screen lights up again. Init 5 and I can log in again.

But of course I would have lost any unsaved work, so the usefulness of
suspend to ram is largely lost.

(My hardware vendor (dell) has a bios upgrade that is supposed
to fix this but I have not applied that yet) .

I've had mixed luck with suspend to ram over the years. Even on Windows.

I've had both suspend to disk and suspend to ram working in SUSE since 9.3
but suspend to ram will often corrupt things and cause them to fail in
strange ways. I always save my work when I am about to attempt
either.

Suspend to disk almost always works, except when on
wireless, where I have to either shut down the wireless (jerk out the
card or power the wireless transmitter off) before I suspend. If I
don't I have to do it after I resume. I'm sure there is a Correct way
to handle this, but this way seems quicker.

I have found that Kubuntu did no better in this regard.