Re: [opensuse] 10.2 system clock too fast and NTP
  • From: Joseph Loo <jloo@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 22:44:18 -0800
Jan Karjalainen wrote:
> Anders Norrbring wrote:
>> ByteEnable wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm using OpenSUSE 10.2 and my clock is running too fast. I turned on
>>> NTP but NTP only works when its first run, then defaults back to the
>>> local clock, which is the clock that is running too fast.
>>>
>>> This is a problem specific to 10.2. I've had OpenSUSE 10.1, Fedora Core
>>> 5 and 6 on this same hardware without issues.
>>
>> Are you possibly running this in a VMware virtual machine? If you are,
>> add 'clock=pit' into your grub boot parameters. It's a known VMware
>> issue.
>>
> I have the same problem with one of my machines, the clock runs way too
> fast.
> I have to run "rcntp restart" every 10 minutes to keep it somehow
> adjusted...

Are you running with the configuration from YAST?
Ntp is suppose to have some files that are used to adjust the clock
speed. When you run ntp regularly, it will adjust these files
automatically and the kernel will use these files to set it up properly.
By the way, you can adjust the amount of time that it will look at the
ntp server. It is in the ntp configuration file.

--
Joseph Loo
jloo@xxxxxxx