Re: [opensuse] CLP
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 20:51:07 -0900
On Saturday 16 December 2006 15:42, James Lockie wrote:
> James Tremblay wrote:
> > On Sat, 2006-12-16 at 18:21 -0500, James Lockie wrote:
> >> I am looking at becoming a Certified Linux Professional.
> >> Is OpenSUSE close enough to the Novel Entreprise SUSE?
> >
> > Having taken the CLP course, I would say that you could use OpenSUSE as
> > a distribution in concert with training materials to achieve the test
> > objectives. The official course materials contain the SLES distribution.
> > James
>
> The official course materials probably contain the 60 day trial of SLES.
>
> Is the a document explaining the differences between OpenSUSE and SLES?

Yes, there is on the Novell site, I forget the exact place. Gooooooogle for
it.

The differences are fairly substantial, but not insurmountable.
If you are a long time suse user your suse knowledge has a tendency to get in
the way.

You know how you would do something in regular suse, and you
are tempted to just do it that way, but since SLES depends heavily on
Ldap for almost everything, its a temptation you must resist.

To the extent the course depends on, or is focused toward, an
ldap oriented installation with the heavy-duty mail chain,
(Postfix-Amavisd-Clamv-Spamassassin-Postfix-Cyrus),
you may need to change your standard suse install significantly.

The SLES installer does this elaborate setup for you.

So the answer depends to a large extent on the focus of the
course. If its a general purpose course, opensuse would be fine.
If its sles oriented, get sles. For the duration you can live without
updates if you just want to download it and use it for coursework.

--
John Andersen