Re: [opensuse] Using aria2
  • From: Susemail <susemail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 18:01:53 -1000
On Friday 15 December 2006 03:57, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> * Susemail <susemail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> [12-15-06 04:25]:
> > On Thursday 14 December 2006 12:08, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> > > * Susemail <susemail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> [12-14-06 15:20]:
> >
> > Does LOG refer to the log file?
>
> yes
>
> > If I use '-l' then aria2c -l logfile is the correct syntax?
>
> yes
>
> > But if I use '-log' then it's aria2c --log=logfile?
>
> it's: -l LOGFILE
> or: --log=LOGFILE
> not: -log

Did you mean: 'not -log=logfile'?

> > What is the command to get aria2c to print to stdout?
>
> -l, --log=LOG The file path to store log. If '-' is
> specified, log is written to stdout.
>
> woud be: -l -
> or: --log=-

> > > It's a _reading_ problem...
> > > aria2c -l ~/aria2c.log -T <torrent_file>
> >
> > ' Usage: aria2c [options] URL ...
> > aria2c [options] -T TORRENT_FILE FILE ...'
> > I see you left out 'URL' in your example. Because it is optional?
>
> Usage: aria2c [options] URL ...
> aria2c [options] -T TORRENT_FILE FILE ...
> aria2c [options] -M METALINK_FILE
>
> you have to use a URL
> or "-T TORRENT_FILE" and you can specify and individual FILE within
> the iso or " -M METALINK_FILE"
>
> > This is confusing. What is a Torrent file?
>
> use google.
>
> > Is *.metalink a torrent file?
>
> use google
>
> > Which torrent file is expected here.
>
> the torrent for the iso you want to download
>
> > I need to set up a log file in order
> > to find out why there is an error (where there should be no error-this
> > should just work imho). Can you tell me the command using this program
> > that will create the log file so I can move on.
>
> I have, over and over

Only in the sense that you gave my all the parts.

> > The best I can come up with based on the man pages and emails is:

I was so close here. One token wrong. I should have read the man
page more closely. I only noticed the part about logging.

> > aria2c -l ~/aria2c.log -T openSUSE-10_2-GM-DVD-i386_iso.metalink
> >
> > which doesn't work: malformed meta data.
>
> You told aria2c to look for a torrent, "-T", and provided a metalink,
> "openSUSE-10_2-GM-DVD-i386_iso.metalink"
>
> > Which raises another question.
> > Which part of this statement is meta data? All I see is a
> > command:'aria2c';an option '-l';a file: ' ~/aria2c.log'; another
> > option:'T'; and another file:'openSUSE-10_2-GM-DVD-i386_iso.metalink'
>
> the metalink contains the "meta data".
>
> > > The error response from the program told you that a torrent parameter
> > > was necessary

I see.

> > > why are you installing tar-balls on an rpm based system when there are
> > > rpms build for your system available? no, no, no
> >
> > I went to the sourceforge page for aria2 and there were no suse rpms.
>
> SourceForge is not an openSUSE site. Look for openSUSE specific rpms
> at openSUSE or openSUSE contributor sites.

Yes sir.

> > I didn't think to check anywhere else. I have now installed the rpm
> > on top of the tar.bz install.
>
> You _should_ have removed the tar-ball first.......

I know. But it seemed like such a chore. My bad.

> > Now I have the man pages but I didn't need them since you had copied
> > the log data in your response.
>
> looks like you still need them, but cannot (?will not?) read them.

I think cannot.

> > I still get the same error message.
>
> you are still doing the same things wrong. "a" is not "A" and "-T" is
> not "-M" and "torrent" is not "metalink" and if the program requires
> specific parameters, they *must* be provided.

This is crystal clear now for me in the context of your example.

> > So far the program isn't providing any error/help messages except look in
> > places that don't exist for the error message.
>
> it has, in every instance. You are looking for or expecting something
> that is not there.

Ok, one, 'look in the log'

> > This is a lot of effort for something that should be easy to do.
>
> it is:
>
> aria2c -l ~/aria2c.err.log -M openSUSE-10_2-GM-DVD-i386_iso.metalink
>
> will get you what you want, this time.

Now I see how it works! I was trying to set up the log file and then run the
command. You set up the log file and run the command together on the same
line.

Why did I think otherwise? Because this is my first time setting up a log
file this way. Also the command line is still mostly a foreign language to
me (Patrich might argue completely foreign). And because there are so few
translations in the man pages such as your excellent example Patrick:

aria2c -l ~/aria2c.err.log -M openSUSE-10_2-GM-DVD-i386_iso.metalink.

Had a few of these examples been sprinkled around the man page I would have
seen how everything fits together immediately. No guessing wrong or at least
a lot less. I think man pages full of examples would make the command line
work a lot better for a lot more people. And after all, isn't that part of
what Linux is all about?

> But the next time, if you continue to disreguard the instructions and
>messages the program provides, you will have the same problem.

I never disregarded the instructions. I would never do that. I simply
interpreted them incorrectly.

> note that the log file is only necessary if you have problems. I don't
> use it, but haven't experienced any problems, fingers and ... crossed.
>
> ps: it would be much easier to read and/or respond to your posts if
> you would leave an empty line between the quotes and your comments or
> questions.

Now to the error log:

# cat aria2c.err.log

Sat Dec 16 17:02:37 2006 - INFO - aria2c 0.9.0
Sat Dec 16 17:02:37 2006 - INFO - Logging started.
Sat Dec 16 17:12:17 2006 - INFO - aria2c 0.9.0
Sat Dec 16 17:12:17 2006 - INFO - Logging started.

Not much information here. What should I do now?

Thank you Patrick,
Jerome