Re: [opensuse] Samba Admin Help
  • From: Thomas Miller <tmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 22:42:20 -0500
david rankin wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "Felix Miata" <mrmazda@xxxxxx>
On 2006/12/13 22:29 (GMT-0500) Thomas Miller apparently typed:

Unfortunately, it failed to change the password. I am assuming the
default password is blank? So when it asked for my old password, I
should just hit enter.

Before there can be a samba user setup with smbpasswd there must be a
user of same name setup with useradd or a GUI tool for user management.
Once the user "msuser" exists in /etc/passwd, then you can create the
corresponding samba user "msuser" thus 'smbpasswd -a msuser', and it
will then ask for the password you wish msuser to use.
--

To make it simple, an example with help. The easiest way to avoid problems when you are getting started is to make sure the windows user name and password are the same as the linux user name and password.

So if you have a windows login of "joe" and password of "blow", then on the linux box (as root)

(1) useradd joe
(2) smbpasswd -a joe
enter password: blow
(3) then make sure that you define a valid share in /etc/samba/smb.conf

[myshare]
comment = I want to share this with windows
path = /home/samba/directorytoshare
writeable = Yes
inherit permissions = Yes

Also, under the [global] section of the smb.conf file you will want to set:
wins support = yes

to help with netbios name resolution

That should do it........

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
510 Ochiltree Street

One of the things I would like to see is the wizards actually work for managing the server. Clearly the Samba Yast screen needs another tab for managing users. I had assumed that the Samba server would just use the current users in Linux. It isn't obvious at all that you have to create a "Samba" user. Do you have to do anything special to log bug / enhancement requests? Thanks.

--
Thomas Miller
Chrome Portal Project Manager

http://www.bss-software.com