Re: [opensuse] New cd/dvd recording software
  • From: BandiPat <penguin0601@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 20:26:30 -0500
On Saturday 16 December 2006 19:50, Darryl Gregorash wrote:
> On 2006-12-16 18:38, Joe Morris (NTM) wrote:
> > BandiPat wrote:
> >> Have you perchance had an opportunity to use k3b with the new
> >> burning software included with 10.2?
> >
> > Yes
> >
> >> Wodim is the program being used now
> >> instead of cdrecord.
> >
> > It is written by the same author,
>
> According to this, it is not: http://lwn.net/Articles/198171/. It
> seems to be a Debian fork of cdrtools, written to remove CDDL
> licencing which, in the opinion of everyone except Jorg Schilling
> (author of cdrtools), is not GPL-compatible.

Yes, that is what I found also Darryl. Don't know why the SUSE
packagers continue to mention Jorg in the file or said it was his,
since wodim is not associated with him except it's a fork from his
original cdrecord. I suppose k3b still hasn't made the change yet,
since there is a symlink of cdrecord to wodim in SUSE's rpm. cdrkit is
the new fork including all the previous files, cdda2wav, mkisofs, etc.
cdrtools was Jorg's version.

bye