Re: [opensuse] 10.2 system clock too fast and NTP
  • From: Anders Norrbring <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 18:46:51 +0100

The Saturday 2006-12-16 at 09:56 -0700, Tom Patton wrote:

Well in this entire thread, unless I missed it, did he ever really say
he DID remove /etc/adjtime properly? I saw a "won't work"...but did he
try?

My crystal ball says it won't. O:-)

If he removes it, manually sets the time and removes it once again, will
the pc keep reasonably close time on it's own? ie WITHOUT ntpd?

I don't think so. Not in this case. That trick only works when the time is set wrong after booting, but it doesn't when the clock goes wrong after that precise moment.

There is another trick, however, to correct the system time without ntpd, using the cmos clock periodically for the update.

And also, as I suggested initially, set the boot parameter 'clock=pit'...

--

Anders Norrbring
Norrbring Consulting