Re: [opensuse] 10.2 system clock too fast and NTP
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 15:10:24 +0100 (CET)

The Saturday 2006-12-16 at 01:37 -0900, John Andersen wrote:

> > > That's silly.
> > > Just run the daemon, that's what its for.
> > >
> > > man ntpd
> >
> > Thats not silly, running ntpd every 10 minutes is silly. Clearly there
> > is a problem with his machine. I don't think NTPD is really intended for
> > this situation.
>
> Sigh...
>
> Nobody suggested he run nptd every ten minutes. Its a daemon.
> (that's why it has a d on the end of the name). It runs continuously.
>
> Its intended for PRECISELY this sort of thing.

But within limits. After setting the clock once, the clock is running so
fast that ntpd can't cope. It will try to slew the clock back, but it does
so slowly. Soon the time will be out of range, and ntpd will stop trying
because it has already gone beyond its sanity limit. Thus the user
restarts it.

"rcntp restart" works in this situation because it sets the clock at the
start even if the jump is big: no sanity checks during service start.

It would be better to use "rcntp ntptimeset" as a cron job every 5 or 10
minutes in this situation as a hack till the real problem can be found.
Something in the kernel, I suppose. It should go to bugzilla, I think.

The trick I often say of removing the "/etc/adjtime" will not work this
time, because the problem arises after the system is running and having
adjusted the time properly, I understand.

Try erasing ntpd adjustments, not sure exactly which ATM.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.