Re: [opensuse] 10.2 system clock too fast and NTP
  • From: Jan Karjalainen <jrock@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 13:02:03 +0100
Sandy Drobic wrote:
Jan Karjalainen wrote:

I think you are confusing the command line ntp with the
always running and always correcting ntpd.

You have to configure ntpd by adding server lines in
/etc/ntp.conf but once you do that if your clock is close at boot time it will keep it in sync forever.

But perhaps the bets solution is to find out why your
clock runs that fast.
I have the ntp daemon configured with a working server, and it produces no error logs.
It´s just that the clock is really running way too fast for the ntp daemon to work.
If I let the ntp daemon run as it is supposed to, the clock will be off by hours after one day.
Adding "rcntp restart" every 10 minutes to crontab helps, but does not solve the problem with the fast clock.

It only helps because the daemon will set the time at start. You might as well execute ntpdate in a cronjob.

Is this an installation running within a VM? I have the same phenomenon with one of my vmware installations. xntpd doesn't work on that system either.

Sandy
No, it´s not a VM.

--
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." - Jan L.A. Van De Snepscheut