Re: [opensuse] OO diddles
  • From: "Charles philip Chan" <cpchan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 20:05:16 -0500
On 15 Dec 2006, dmcgarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> In OO (hey, this is coming up in a font size I can read!) there are
> two problems that I'm running into.  The first is that the single
> quote mark between letters in words like "don't" when typing in the
> equivalent of Times, comes out straight, not curly.

Make sure that replace single quotes is turned on in:

Tools->Autocorrect->"Custum Quotes"

Also, make sure that you have set up the subsitution characters.

> The second is that when I want to type "12th," the
> "th" comes out small superscript, when I want it to come out
> just like I typed it here.  There is a way in WordPerfect to
> defeat that, altho I don't remember what it is, and I have no
> familiarity with MSWord, which I know OO is trying to emulate.

Don't know why you want to do that since the superscript is
typographical correct. However, you can turn that off in:

Tools->AutoCorrect->Options

> Maybe the quote mark problem could be solved with TTF, but
> you can't get that from M/S anymore, it seems.  Is there a
> real, real simple way to put True Type Fonts on the system?
> (There is no XP on this machine, and it's not networked.)
> But I do own XP, altho it's not up at the moment--machine
> problems--so I have a license to use TTF.

If you have some ttf fonts, you can install them using the font
installer in YaST.

Charles

--
Dprintk("oh dear, we are idle\n");