Re: [opensuse] usb, vmware and 10.2
  • From: Rui Santos <rsantos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 18:26:50 +0000

Jan Engelhardt wrote:
>>> In 10.1 we could make vmware see usb devices by executing the command:
>>> "mount -t usbfs /dev/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb".
>>> this fails in 10.2 with "/proc/bus/usb does not exist".
>>> what to do next?

>> Can you please be more specific?
>>

> Oh you better ask in the Linux kernel mailing list or the usb subsystem
> mailing list. Fact is, from what I can see, is that usbfs/usbdevfs is
> gone, and the usualy reason is that something has successfully been
> moved from /proc to /sys. After all, USB has hardly to do anything with
> processes. Too bad VMware does not seem to notice it.

Jan Engelhardt, it seems you are mistaken. Although /proc is destined to
oblivion, usbdevfs has been replaced, probably around 2.6.12 (can't
remember exactly), by usbfs, witch is what ?? Kanenas ?? is talking about.
I haven't installed OpenSuSE 10.2 yet but, I can assure you that usbfs
is present on Kernel 2.6.18 ( even on the new 2.6.19 ).

?? Kanenas ??, if you want to mount usbfs for VMWare, you could do one
of the following:
1) Check your /etc/fstab file for a line similar to this one:
usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs
auto 0 0
expect that yours should show a noauto instead of auto. Edit it and
change it accordingly.
Then issue the command 'mount /proc/bus/usb'
On the next boot it should be mounted automatically.

2) check if /proc/bus/usb directory exists. If not, create it.
Issue the command:
mount -t usbfs none /proc/bus/usb
voila...
see 1) for automounting at boot.

Hope it helps.
Regards,

> -`J'

Rui Santos

--
Rui Santos
http://www.ruisantos.com/

They that would give up essential liberty for
temporary safety deserve neither one of them.