[opensuse] `(till) character (above left TAB), loosing prompt
  • From: Patrick Shanahan <ptilopteri@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 09:58:51 -0500
> When ever I accidentally hit the ` ( till ) - above left TAB -
> Character the prompt disappears and I don't know where I am in the
> directory structure. How do I regain the standard prompt equal to MS $p
> $g

don't know 'MS $p$g', but seem to recall that configured the dos prompt
before Billie bought the code.

a <ctrl-c> or another tilde will return you to the prompt. The first tilde
is the opening for a statement which will be contained by the closing
tilde for execution at one time to be delivered to some other command.

http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/Bash-Prompt-HOWTO/index.html
will explain the bash prompt.

http://linux.about.com/library/cmd/blcmdl1_bash.htm
explains the usage of the tilde on the command line or in a script

I frequently consult the "Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide" and/or RUTE,
look for them on google.

OpenSUSE Linux http://en.opensuse.org/