Re: [opensuse] article about Midnight Commander
  • From: "Hylton Conacher(ZR1HPC)" <hylton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 14:24:56 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

El 2006-12-13 a las 16:14 +0200, Hylton Conacher(ZR1HPC) escribió:

Had a look in the file and found the StarOffice line. Commented out what was
there and inserted the above. Viola, now when I Enter or double click on a
selected file it opens up in OOo, provided of course I am using an xterm in
KDE.

Tnx Carlos.
PS: If I were to open mc in a terminal(Ctrl-Alt-Fx) after signing into KDE,
how could I still get the file to open in the appropiate viewer under KDE ie
on the graphical terminal?

That's not easy, you have to inform the program what X terminal to use - in Linux there can be many, so that's not simple to automate.
As with most of Linux it aint easy, but it can be done :)

HOW Can I open documents in the graphical interface ie (Ctrl-Alt-F7) from using the cli? True Linuxers use the cli and find it OK, right? So why is it so difficult to explain how to open a file in the designated viewer?

Wouild it not be something like $> /document/dir/docname :0 to open the document in Ctrl-Alt-F7?

If the document was to be opened in Ctrl-Alt-F8 then wouldn't it be
$> /document/dir/docname :1 ?

I have not tried any of this as I have reached the limits of my knowledge/experience and need input.