Re: [opensuse] configure fonts in KMail
  • From: Doug McGarrett <dmcgarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 02:29:59 -0500
On Thursday 14 December 2006 23:02, Leendert Meyer wrote:
> On Friday 15 December 2006 02:22, Doug McGarrett wrote:
> > >
> > > Also, make sure your monitor's dimensions are set correctly in
> > > your X settings (sax2). X uses those to calculate what DPI your
> > > display has, and if it guesses too low, your fonts will appear
> > > too small.
> > >
> > > In 10.2 we've added a feature to the KControl->Appearance->Fonts
> > > config to allow you to hardwire a DPI, for people where
> > > SaX/xorg.conf is outside their control, or just too scary, so
> > > you could experiment with that too.
> > >
> > > Will
> >
> > It's weird. When I hit "reply" I get a font I can read easily.
> > It's just the incoming message and the outgoing email that is in
> > microfont.
>
> "incoming message"???
> "outgoing email"???
>
> I'm guessing you mean message body and quoted text?
>
> > I believe the monitor is set correctly. I will open
> > sax2 and see what happens. I don't have 10.2 and won't. If M/S
> > hasn't killed SuSE by 10.3, I will buy that.
>
> If the general font-size of the KDE-menu's and other applications is
> good, then you only need to change the size of the message body and
> quoted text.
>
> The size of the Message body is set by selecting "Message Body" in
> the Appearence -> Fonts -> "Apply to:" combobox (remember red
> circle?), and subsequently choosing a larger font size.
>
> The quoted text initially appears smaller that the rest of the
> message body. Uncheck the "Use smaller font for quoted
> text"-checkbox on Appearence -> "Message Window".
>
> Cheers,
>
> Leen

Well, it doesn't work that way. What I mean is, I guess what you
call the "message body" i.e., what appears on the monitor when you
access an email and try to read it, and what I mean has nothing to
do with "quoted text" but what I write when I create an email.
It turns out that
when I _reply_ to an email, as I am doing now, the text is a nice
readable size. Maybe that's what _you_ mean by "quoted text."
I guess I managed to modify KMail to do that much, but I can't
seem to get the _incoming mail text_ to a readable size. I bet this
comes up on your screen in a fairly good sized font. But if I just
sent you a message without it being a reply, it would come up on
my screen in half the height and width, just as the incoming mail does.

BTW, there does not seem to be any way to check or uncheck
"use smaller font for quoted text" in 9.3, and I would not want
it to do so anyway. Text, whether quoted or unquoted all comes
out the same very small size. On a 19" monitor, it must be about
maybe 8 point or 9 point. What I'm writing in, now, since it is _reply_,
not new message, is probably about 14 point. Maybe 16 point, I forget
what I put in, but it doesn't help on receive, or transmit new, those are
still tiny, tiny.

--doug