Re: FW: [opensuse] Need monitor recommendation
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 19:02:12 -0800
Greg,

On Thursday 14 December 2006 17:57, Greg Wallace wrote:

> Randall:
>
> I have a bit of a vision problem and need 1024 X 768. Felix was
> saying that you need to consider that when buying a LCD monitor
> because, unlike a CRT, they have an optimal resolution. Would the
> VP201b work ok at that resolution?

It will work, but not with optimal resolution. Because it must map to a
higher resolution, the resulting images will be (are) blurry.

However, I think you need to consider more carefully what you need. It's
not about the number of pixels displayed by the monitor, it's about the
size of each pixel (or, equivalently, the number of pixels per inch /
cm.).. So my monitor, the VP201b, has a 100dpi display (thus, its
viewable area is 16 inches wide and 12 inches wide). Most LCD displays
have about the same resolution (in the range of 96 to 100 dpi), so you
might as well buy the biggest display you can afford, since it will
allow you to either: a) See more information; or: b) Use larger fonts.

> Thanks,
> Greg Wallace

Randall Schulz